The loss of multiple teeth mayhave a substantial negative effect on your quality of life, making it difficult to confidently speak, swallow, and smile. Traditional dentures have long been a preferred option for replacing missing teeth, but they maypresent difficulties like sliding, pain, and decreased chewing effectiveness.
Implant-retained dentures maybe the right option for you if you’re looking for a more secure and comfortable replacement. In this article, we will explain, what implant-retained dentures are, how they function, their advantages, and whether they might be a good fit for your dental requirements.
Understanding Implant Retained Dentures
Implant-retained dentures, also known as implant-supported dentures, combine the advantages of dental implants with the convenience of dentures. Unlike traditional dentures that rest on the gums and rely on adhesives or suction, implant-retained dentures are secured in place by dental implants—titanium posts that act as artificial tooth roots.
The Implant Placement Process
The first step in getting implant-retained dentures is the surgical placement of dental implants into the jawbone. During a minor surgical procedure, the dental implants are inserted into the jawbone, where they will eventually fuse with the bone in a process called osseointegration. This integration creates a firm foundation for your dentures.
Attaching the Dentures
Once the dental implants have integrated with the jawbone, the custom-made denture prosthesis is attached to the implants using abutments. The denture is carefully designed to fit your mouth comfortably and provide the most natural appearance possible.
The Benefits of Implant Retained Dentures
Following are some benefits of implant retained dentures:
- Enhanced Stability: Unlike traditional dentures that may shift or slip during eating or speaking, implant-retained dentures are firmly anchored to dental implants. This enhanced stability provides the functional stability to enjoy your favourite foods and engage in social interactions without worrying about denture movement.
- Improved Chewing Efficiency: The secure fit of implant-retained dentures allows for better chewing efficiency compared to traditional dentures, which maypositively impact your digestion and overall nutrition.
- Preservation of Jawbone: Dental implants stimulate the jawbone, preventing the bone loss that often occurs after tooth loss. This preservation of the jawbone helps maintain facial structure and prevents the appearance of premature aging.
- Enhanced Comfort: Implant-retained dentures eliminate the discomfort and sore spots that mayoccur with traditional dentures. They are designed to fit your mouth precisely, offering a more comfortable and natural feel.
- Durability and Longevity: With proper care and regular dental check-ups, implant-retained dentures maylast for many years, making them a cost-effective and durable tooth replacement option.
Are Implant Retained Dentures Right for You?
While implant-retained dentures offer numerous benefits, they may not be the most suitable option for everyone. Several factors mayinfluence whether you are a suitable candidate for this treatment:
- Oral Health: Adequate oral health is crucial for the success of dental implants. Healthy gums and sufficient jawbone density are essential to support the implants. If you have significant bone loss or periodontal issues, additional procedures such as bone grafting may be required.
- Overall Health: Your overall health also plays a role in determining your eligibility for implant retained dentures. Certain medical conditions or medications may impact the healing process after implant placement.
- Commitment to Oral Care: Maintaining good oral hygiene and attending regular dental check-ups are vital for the long-term success of implant-retained dentures. A commitment to oral care is essential to ensure the longevity of dental implants and dentures.
The Implant Retained Denture Process: What to Expect
Your journey to implant retained dentures begins with an initial consultation with your dental professional. During this appointment, they will evaluate your oral health, discuss your dental history, and determine whether you are a suitable candidate for the procedure.
If you are a good candidate for implant retained dentures, a comprehensive treatment plan will be created specifically for you. This plan will include the number of dental implants needed, the type of denture to be used, and the timeline for the procedure.
The next step is the surgical placement of the dental implants into your jawbone. This is typically done under local anaesthesia to ensure your comfort during the procedure.
After the implant placement, a healing period of several months is needed to allow the implants to fuse with the jawbone in the previously-mentioned osseointegration. The property allowing this to happen is commonly referred to as “biocompatibility” with regard to the fusing with your oral structure. During this time, temporary dentures may be provided to ensure you a functional smile.
Attaching the Dentures
Once the implants have fully integrated with the jawbone, the custom-made denture prosthesis will be attached to the implants using abutments. Your dental professional will ensure a precise fit and natural appearance.
Consulting with a Dentist for Denture Implants in Mississauga
Determining whether implant-retained dentures are right for you requires a thorough examination and evaluation by a qualified dental professional. They will assess your oral health, review your medical history, and discuss your dental goals to determine the most suitable tooth replacement option for your unique needs.
Implant-retained dentures offer a stable and comfortable tooth replacement option for individuals with multiple missing teeth. The combination of dental implants and dentures provides enhanced stability, improved chewing efficiency, and a more natural feel compared to traditional dentures.
If you are considering implant retained dentures, consult with an implant dentist to determine if you are a suitable candidate. They will guide you through the process, ensuring you make an informed decision that aligns with your oral health needs and goals.
Explore the Possibilities of Implant-Retained Dentures
Discover how receiving an implant-retained denture by Accent Denture Services in Mississauga may help enhance the stability and functionality of your teeth. Say goodbye to slipping dentures and hello to improved oral health.
With our team of dentists by your side, you are able to explore the potential of implant retained dentures—a stable and comfortable option that may enhance your chewing efficiency and overall well-being. Discover the difference between personalized care and advanced denture technology at Accent Denture Services. Schedule your consultation today to experience the potential of implant-retained dentures!