When adult teeth grow in, they are meant to last for a lifetime. Unfortunately, due to various circumstances from genetics to diet, adult teeth can fall out due to deterioration. Missing teeth can not only negatively affect your overall confidence, but can cause detrimental damage to your teeth and gums. It’s imperative to ensure good overall oral health by having missing teeth examined immediately. Fortunately, there are several ways to restore missing or decaying teeth to regain your confidence and health.
Read on to discover how missing teeth can affect your oral health, how to prevent tooth loss, and what actions you can take.
Missing Teeth Connection To Poor Oral Health
Obtaining optimal oral health is key to maintaining good overall health. With just one missing tooth, risks to your oral health can rise drastically. Some of the most common oral health problems you can experience with missing teeth include:
- The jaw bone can shrink and cause the gums to recede, which, ultimately, weakens tooth enamel and exposes the roots. Not only can this weaken the structure of the damaged tooth, but it can also affect the surrounding teeth as well and cause tooth decay.
- The surrounding teeth can actually begin to grow into the gap of the missing tooth, which can lead to crowded or crooked teeth.
- Missing teeth increases your risk of developing gum disease, as gaps in teeth create areas where plaque grows and thrive.
How To Repair Missing Teeth
There are various ways to repair and replace a missing tooth. Here are some viable options to address missing teeth and ensure your oral health:
- Dentures: A denture is essentially a cosmetic dental solution that goes into the mouth with specific fittings in the gaps. Either made from acrylic or metal, dentures are removable and are implemented when the removed teeth and the irritated gum tissue has healed. There are two different types of dentures, including complete and partial dentures. Dentures help create the appearance of a full, beautiful smile free of decay and damage.
- Dental Implants: A dental bridge is mounted onto the tooth on either of the missing tooth and bonds to the mouth. The dental implant is more of a permanent solution for long term problems.
How To Prevent Missing Teeth
The easiest and most effective way to avoid missing teeth is prevention. This starts by maintaining a healthy oral health regiment to keep your teeth and gums in optimal condition. Here’s what to do:
- Brush twice daily for two minutes each and ensue you’re replacing your toothbrush once every three months or when you start to notice wear.
- Floss once daily.
- Visit a dentist for frequent cleanings and check-ups.
At Accent Denture Services, our denturist in Mississauga will help you find the best option for your missing teeth. Whether from an accident, tooth decay, or gum disease, a missing tooth causes harm to your happiness and oral health. Our denture clinic in Mississauga will go over all costs and procedures with you. Contact us to set up a denture consultation for FREE by calling us at 905-819-8484.